Birth Matters… It matters because it is the way we all begin our lives outside of our source, our mother’s bodies. It’s the means from which we enter and feel our first impression of the wider world. For each mother, it is an event that shakes and shapes her to her innermost core. Women’s perceptions about their bodies and their babies’ capabilities will be deeply influenced by the care they receive around the time of birth. – Ina May Gaskin
Hi, Ola, Hallo and Bonjour!
My name is Naissa, I am based in Sydney and have a German and Brazilian background. I am a mum to two playful and inquisitive daughters, a loving wife to a French man, a motherhood and newborn photographer, a professional marketer, a caring friend, a globe trotter, and a birth nerd.
Becoming a mother with my first daughter in 2018 was a turning point for me. I had an induced hospital birth and realised I should have done more research instead of trusting the flow of things. I could trust my body and baby. But I didn’t know there was so much more to birth that I had to be aware of. I didn’t know I had options.
So, after having this realisation I started to learn more about childbirth and discovered through evidenced-based research that birth experiences are heavily influenced by the care that women receive and that there was a lack of continuity of care in the public system.
Then, I witnessed my friend give birth to a ‘big baby’ without suffering a single tear. I was fascinated! This special event inspired me to read and listen to other birth stories but also to introduce the idea of capturing the beauty of birth to my photography clients.
Knowing that adequate support was needed to help expecting mums to thrive after birth, I founded a virtual international mothers’ group to provide a safe and compassionate space at the start of the pandemic.
In 2020, I fell pregnant again and I knew I was better prepared this time. I had the knowledge and support I needed to take informed decisions. One of them was to ensure I had continuity of care by hiring an independent midwife and a doula who would assist me and my husband throughout the whole journey.
My homebirth was magical and everything I had hoped for. I felt safe and fearless. My daughter was born calmly in the birth pool and surrounded by so much love and peace. In my eyes, knowing that I had a voice and could fully trust my birth team made all the difference. I entered motherhood with confidence.
Today, I would like to extend my knowledge and experience to new mothers and help them to find their voice on their journey to motherhood, regardless of how and where they choose to birth.
My mission is to support birthing women and their partners during their early days of pregnancy, during birth and postpartum and enable them to take informed decisions, feel safe during birth and confident in their new role as parents. I’ll comfort, hold and nurture you.
As your doula
- I educate you by sharing up-to-date evidenced based research, books, and articles to inform you on your choices so that you can assertively plan your birth preferences.
- I provide tools to help you let go of worries or doubts, so that you can go into labour fearless and calm.
- I offer pregnancy photo therapy sessions that allow you to positively reconnect with your transforming body, making you feel strong, capable, and beautiful.
- I facilitate Mother Blessings prior to the birth which enable you to feel love and support around you and make you feel relaxed and prepared for your upcoming birth and entrance to motherhood.
- Demonstrate helpful labour movements, breathing techniques and coping mechanism to your partner so that your mind can solely focus on yourself and birthing the baby and your partner feel confident in supporting you.
- After birth, I offer to debrief your birth story which will help to process your unique experience
- During my postpartum visits, I offer reassurance and support around feeding, sleeping or anything else that is on your mind leaving you more confident and comfortable in your early weeks of motherhood.
- I offer 1:1 sessions on the transition to the new you and how to navigate the early months of motherhood which will allow you to understand and embrace all the feelings you feel in your new role of woman and mother.
- I will provide you access to a private mothers-to-be online group which will allow you to connect with other likeminded women and support after birth.
My name is Naissa Kummer, and I am a student doula who is training at the Doula Training Academy. If you would like more information about my doula services, please contact me: